Extreme Geocaching

Home Forums Geocaching Topics Extreme Geocaching

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of SniperChicken SniperChicken 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lacey Bishop
    Participant

Have you tried extreme geocaching?

Well first what would you considered extreme?

Diffidently anything that rates above your level of experience. Cache level of 5/5 Difficulty and Terrain. Sure both of those would qualify.

Boating
    Caving
    Rappelling
    Skydiving
    Scuba Diving
    Rock Climbing
    Mountain Climbing
    Hiking 10+ miles
    Puzzle

So let us discuss some extreme caches. Tell us about the ones you have attempted, succeeded, failed, heard about and bookmarked to do. Who went with you, share your photos, etc…

Please provide the Name of Cache and GC# and if you can link to the GC page.

Lacey Bishop
    Participant

3 Degrees BLACKOUT (GC1KFAD) http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC1KFAD_3-degrees-blackout

5/5 cache by Sniperchicken

This cache is located in Oxford, MS and has 33 favorite points.

Reading the logs, you can see that others have feared for their lives, seen places that they had never seen before. And truly will never recover from their experince after completing 3 Degrees: BLACKOUT.

I have had the privilage of maintaining and hunting several of the stages of this puzzle, multi, extreme geocache.

If you have a phobia of snakes, spiders, dark, evil, tight spaces, breathing heavy, water, bugs, plastic, ladders, headlamps, puzzles, geocaching, etc.. this is not the cache for you.

If you would like to drive yourself insane by asking yourself over and over again, WHY, Dear God WHY, then THIS cache is for you.

Can we ask for a new attribute on GC, KNEEPADS. I am quite certain many people who have done this cache will agree, that kneepad attribute would be wise for the cache page.

What does it sound like inside one of those water drains you ask?
    Dark. What does Dark sound like?
    Fear. What does Fear sound like?
    Heavy Breathing. What does, wait…..

You will hear animal’s that are not there, or that you have yet to see.
    You will hear your own heavy breathing.
    You will hear traffic above you.
    You will hear other people above you.
    You will hear water flowing.
    You will hear anyone that you bring with you.
    You might hear other people in the tunnel.
    You will hear the voices in your head.

So are you completely freaked out and totally ready to come try out an extreme cache?

I DARE YOU!

GPS_Cache_Hounds
    Participant

Like pretty much everything in geocaching, I think the definition of an extreme cache is going to vary person to person. An extreme cache doesn’t necessarily need to have a 5/5 rating, although I think its fair to assume that most “true” 5/5 caches are going to present a significant challenge to the average cacher.

I like adventuresome caches that either put me into new (and maybe even initially uncomfortable) situations, or take me to new places that I know few people have seen before. The latter case has also fed my interest in kayaking (and geoyaking) over the past year or so. There is something magical about physically exploring a remote area after putting in the preparation and research to get yourself there. It’s hard to explain, but it is a great feeling of accomplishment when I overlay a trip track from a backwater adventure onto Google Earth and see all the hidden little channels and sloughs I have uncovered. It makes me feel like a modern day explorer.

Snaking Between 51 and 55 “and Beyond” (GC4F7H6: http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4F7H6_snaking-between-51-and-55?guid=57f2fb11-5e41-4609-bde1-fcd7f77f80bc) by Wilbur8869 is a cache I recently completed that anyone looking for a backwater paddling adventure should definitely consider. Under ideal conditions, this is an approximately 8.8 mile round trip paddle up the Coldwater River to Beartail Creek from the headwaters of Arkabutla Lake. In my case due to low water conditions, it ended up being a 4 mile paddle to a muddy 0.8 mile hike capped off by a 4 mile return paddle. As is usually the case for a true adventure cache, there were a few more obstacles than expected along the way. Anyone interested in my story should read my log for the cache. I wrote it in a unique tone so that I could have a little fun, but it is a real life adventure not a “tall tale”. I always have fun writing up the logs for adventure caches since it lets me re-live the experience. Geocaching adventurers MOUNT UP, and give Wilbur8869 a few more finds on this awesome cache.

“I have wined and dined with queens and kings, and I’ve slepped in alleys and dined on pork and beans”
    Mustcache!
    Participant

I will be attempting this one soon! Any tips?

If she weighs more than a duck, she’s a witch!!!
    MacGyver69
    Participant

I have not looked at a storm drain/tunnel the same since completing 3-Degrees with Team No Limits. I have an overwhelming desire to dive in and explore every tunnel I pass and I’m still in therapy!

MSGA President, Hub City Cachers VP, Saucier MS
    SniperChicken
    Keymaster

Any tips? Yes, wait until the temps are below 70 ;seriously.

Mustcache!
    Participant

Haha i thought about that. Also the snakes will be back in hibernation hopefully.

If she weighs more than a duck, she’s a witch!!!
    wilbur8869
    Participant

Thanks for the props GPS_Cache_Hounds. I’d say the most extreme I’ve done was the Search for George Owens Cache. I believe if I had the right equipment it would have been an easier expedition than I made it out to be. Lets just say I took the hiking route for the last phase. I hiked for five miles round trip, now that doesn’t sound like much, but I’d say a quarter of that was through knee deep mud. I know you guy’s know that feeling of sinking through thick mud and panicking to get out, luckily I had lace up boots. Lets just say I ended up belly crawling through a good portion of it so I wouldn’t sink. By the time I got back to my car where the public was, I had some people looking at me pretty crazy for looking like the swamp creature. That was probably my hardest cache, and a big smile on my face for completing it, especially on my own.

GPS_Cache_Hounds
    Participant

I had another experience with a more “extreme” cache last weekend that I would like to share. The cache of interest was GC4QAQA:Iron Bridge (http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4QAQA_iron-bridge?guid=06859d66-0eb3-4515-b5be-1ff68d0217bb). Anyone who has ever taken on a Chimps8mybaby cache knows that you are in for a visit to a unique place, and are more likely than not to find yourself in an “interesting” situation to reach the container. The cache is located on the Sardis Lake bed, and I would say has a sliding terrain difficulty based on how you choose to approach it. Depending on the time of year, a boat may be required. However in the winter months, as the lake has receded, the cache can be approached by foot, 4 wheeler, or possibly by 4-wheel drive vehicle. I was unwilling to take my truck out as I felt there was an excellent chance of getting stranded on the lake bed, but every person has to make that decision for themselves. This is a very popular area for 4-wheelers, and if we were lucky enough to own one, I would have chosen that option. However, I have had this crazy idea that I wanted to mountain bike on the lake bed for awhile, and this cache was my opportunity to give that a shot. We had an excellent time using this method, but I have to admit it was a mixed result experiment. In many areas the 4-wheelers have packed the sand pretty tightly, and it makes for great riding. There are a number of crevasses to navigate and even a few water crossing that were extremely fun if you are a get dirty kind of mountain biker like I am. However, in a few place the loose sand makes for some extremely challenging pedalling. Also, the 4-wheeler riders are not used to people on bikes being around, so you do have to keep your eyes and ears open a bit to make sure that they see you. As advertised, there is an iron bridge at GZ, and there are ample opportunities for exploring and interesting photos. There is a creek nearby that KOcacher played around in, but it also contains some pretty deep mud. She went into mud above her knee at on point, but it is not necessary to get in the creek to get to the cache. Without giving it away, to reach the final container you will either have to wreck your brain or your body, and in either case you are going to risk tetanus. I, unsurprisingly, went for the more physical method and had a few hairy moments. I recommend that you use your brain instead of your back. However, if you do choose to use the physical method, be sure that there is someone with you in case things do not go as planned. This is a physically and/or mentally demanding cache that leads to a great place that anyone who is capable of accepting the challenge should give a try. It is a once in a lifetime experience.

“I have wined and dined with queens and kings, and I’ve slepped in alleys and dined on pork and beans”
    deltadawg
    Participant

I have two caches in North Louisiana (2.5 hours from vicksburg) that are what I would call extreme. One requires a small boat (kayaks are great) and if you want a sweet adventure, paddle on down to the other one (thats how I check on them). The Kidd Lake cache can be walked to if the water is low.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2ND39_kidd-lake

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2ND2P_no-land-island

I wait and wait for someone else to find them, but it has been three years since they were found. Attached is a photo of my cousin while checking on the caches.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SniperChicken
    Keymaster

I would rather find one of those “lonely” caches than find 25 caches along the side of a road nowadays. One of my favorite personal hides hasn’t been found in 2 and a half years either and you don’t even need a boat to get to it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.